Just like your home’s appliances, flooring and furniture, your windows will need to be replaced at some point. You may be thinking about a window replacement project at home, so here are some considerations and benefits to help you determine if now is the right time to do it.
WHEN IS IT TIME FOR WINDOW REPLACEMENT?
Old windows allow drafts in your house and warmth to escape, leaving you a colder house and higher power bills. The windows in your home can significantly contribute to warmth, where if the seals around the frame have worn out you lose the insulation and warmth inside. Over the last five to ten years, window and glass technology has drastically improved where with double glazing and better fittings, replacing your windows has never been more beneficial.
Here are some signs you may need to consider replacing your windows:
- Temperature: When it’s cold outside, you notice a cooler temperature inside
- Noise: You can hear noises outside, even if the windows are shut
- Security: Your windows don’t open or shut properly, posing a draft and security risk
- Condensation: You can see condensation on and around your window frames
- Age: Your windows are more than ten years old, and may be wearing or rotting on the outside, have worn seals or lost the insulation around the frame
- Style: Your windows don’t match or suit the style of your house, particularly if you’ve renovated or upgraded the outside of your house
IS IT WORTH INVESTING IN REPLACEMENT WINDOWS?
When thinking getting your windows replaced, or installing retrofit windows it’s important to consider the long-term benefits versus the cost of installation, including:
- Increased energy efficiency which results in reduced power bills
- A warmer, more comfortable home for you and your family
- Reduced wear and tear on heating and air conditioning systems, resulting in less maintenance bills and extended life
- Health benefits where new windows reduce mould, dust and undesirables in your home that can cause colds and health issues
- Reduced wear and tear on furniture and fixtures due to the extra UV protection from new windows
- Improving the aesthetic appeal (inside and outside your house) which contributes to resale value if you’re thinking of selling your property
DOUBLE GLAZING REPLACEMENT WINDOWS
Since the technology became available, double glazing windows has become increasingly popular and an industry standard, particularly in New Zealand with its testing weather conditions. Since their introduction, double glazing windows have been proven to make a major difference to a home’s insulation and energy efficiency.
Thermoglaz specialise in replacing windows and doors within the Christchurch and greater Canterbury areas. We can work with your existing window frames (wooden or aluminium) to fit new and secure that look great and provide your home greater energy efficiency.