Damp transforms into mould and rust, problems that are related to a number of allergies and asthma. You can also increase your chances of potential bed bugs and mites as they thrive in these conditions. The dryer the air the easier it is to heat and you’ll see fewer problems associated with damp.
What are the main causes of condensation?
There are many causes that make condensation happen, but some of the more common reasons are:
- The difference in temperature is the biggest player. If the temperature outside is a lot colder to the temperature inside, this causes surfaces to damp (condensation).
- Cooking, washing as well as other household activities produce more moisture and so you’ll often find the kitchen and bathroom will have more condensation build up in comparison to other rooms.
- If your windows are single glazed, the cool temperatures on the outside of the windows transfer easily to the inside and condensation occurs rapidly.
How to reduce condensation in the home?
There are things you can do to prevent condensation in your home.
- Double-glazing is a good place to start. Double-glazing traps air between two sheets of glass, which creates an insulating barrier. As a result, condensation is greatly reduced, creating a warmer, drier, healthier home
- Leave doors open throughout the home to promote air circulation and to prevent high humidity levels building up in one room.
- Open a window when doing the washing, drying and after showering until the air returns to a normal temperature, and use an exhaust fan where possible.
- On cold days, keep the heating on all day but set to a low temperature, even when you’re not home. This will help keep a consistent temperature and avoid condensation build up.
- When cooking use covers over pans and always use the extractor hood.
- Opening windows will improve the ventilation of the whole house which will help drop the moisture level even further.
Thermoglaz have been making homes healthier for over 10 years’ by installing double glazing windows and supporting the environment by using advanced technology products. If you want a healthier, a more comfortable home, get in touch for a free quote.
Book a FREE Quote
Why choose Thermoglaz?
- NWe deliver exactly what we promise
- NWe don't cut corners
- NWe guarantee your double glazing stands the test of time